Thursday, May 21, 2015

Round 3 Prep - Radiator

You'll have to bear with me, I realize I'm starting in the middle of the year. For the moment I'm just going to focus on laying down some material, we can revisit rounds 1 and 2 later.

Where to start?! I was a little more determined to fix my car issues quickly this time, as leaving on time promotes a happy drift environment for the team. Otherwise known as "Happy wife, happy life."


 At rounds one and two the car ran HOT, far too hot to be sustainable. Working on a budget, I scavenged the radiator and fan combo from the donor CTS-V. It's quite a large unit, and instead of forward raking the radiator I was forced to lean it back, resulting in a lower ground clearance and less direct air flow, not to mention having to retool the front body hoop to secure the new unit. Once a new position was determined I began digging for some conveniently shaped scraps, such as some one inch DOM that harbor freight crushed along with my dreams. Reshaping the upper tube frame to accept the radiator wasn't too difficult, but I took my time anyway and made sure everything was kosher. I also added a PBM swirl pot to serve as an expansion tank, something I wouldn't recommend for another LS car. Because of the high coolant flow from the steam vents and radiator bleed port an extreme vortex is made, one that reaches all the way down to the return port. Translation, more air coming out of the pot than going in! I'm going to cut it up later, maybe just add a box reservoir to the bottom to cancel the swirl out. Sadly my foolish attempts at being awesome were thwarted when I didn't update my bash bar to protect the radiator, you can see the damage ONE cone hit did below. A bash bar update is definitely part of round four prep, and a new radiator. I'm also debating building a splitter before the next round, strictly to serve as protection.

0 comments:

Post a Comment